George Boom was born December 16, 1925 on a farm between Tea and Lennox, SD. He graduated from Lennox High School. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. He attended U.S. Naval Academy Preparatory School, Bainbridge, MD, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD and graduated from the University of Minnesota College of Mortuary Science, Minneapolis, MN. He worked for a time at a funeral home in New Ulm, MN before moving to Sioux Falls, where he worked at Miller Funeral Home. He became a partner in Banton Funeral Home in 1954. In 1956 he became majority stockholder at which time he renamed the business George Boom Funeral Home. He also operated an ambulance service for many years and provided ambulance service for all Huset's Speedway races for 17 years. In addition, he served as Minnehaha County Coroner in the mid-1960s.
George is an active member of East Side Lutheran Church. Over the years he donated countless hours to many civic and fraternal organizations, including the Optimist Club and it's “World's Largest Rummage Sale”, Lutheran Social Services Boards, Volunteers of America Day Care Board, the El Riad Shrine and the El Riad Shrine Horse Corps, as well as others.